Many device users constantly look for tips on how to recover deleted text messages on iPhones. This is because iPhones are not known for having much data storage space. And most of the time, this is why device users opt to free up their memory by deleting their messages. Because of this, Apple has added an option to delete messages in the app after a specific time automatically.
But what happens if you accidentally delete an important text message? Do you know how to retrieve deleted text messages? If this is something you need to know how to do, you’re in luck. We’re here to share a few tips on how to see deleted text messages on an iPhone and restore the data. You can utilize your iTunes account, iCloud, or a third-party app to help you achieve this.
Here are some of our tips on how to do this:
Effective Methods To Recover Deleted iPhone Messages
There are a few ways to restore and recover deleted messages on an iPhone. Some of these options will depend on the timeframe when you deleted the message and when you last backed up the iPhone. This can significantly affect whether you can still recover those text messages or not.
But in any case, it is worth trying if you can still retrieve your deleted messages utilizing these options:
- Restoring Texts Through iCloud Backup
As an iPhone user, you likely have an account on iCloud. And typically, anything saved on your device gets uploaded onto the iCloud account. This also means that your text messages get stored on iCloud, which is why you can try to recover your messages from iCloud.
If you recently backed up your iPhone to your iCloud account, there is a big chance you can successfully retrieve your old messages. Here are the steps to take to try and recover iCloud messages:
- Open the Settings app > tap on your name or picture on top of the screen.
- Choose iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups.
This action will provide a list of the available backups done on your iCloud account. You can tap on each of those backups to try and see when you last saved the text message you are seeking in the iCloud account.
Once you find it on your iCloud account, you will need to backup your iPhone to that version. You can do this by following these steps:
- Reset The iPhone to its factory settings. You need to do this to have a backup of the latest files stored on your iPhone. This will also help avoid the loss of any potential data since your most recent backup. Remember to separately save the copies of the files you wish to keep.
- Restore the iPhone to its factory settings by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
Resetting your iPhone will only take a few minutes. Once your iPhone is done and restarts, it goes through the usual setup process. From there, you will have an option to recover from an iCloud backup. Choose the one where the deleted message is stored in.
If you can’t find the deleted message in one of the iCloud backups, there are still a few steps you can do to try to recover it. You can try the next option.
- Recovering Deleted Texts via iTunes
Another option you can do to answer your question, “Can I recover deleted text messages on iPhone” is to try doing it via iTunes. Like iCloud, it will depend on whether the message was stored in a recent backup. But it’s still worth trying out this option since you only need your Apple ID.
Remember to export and save any recent files you want to keep after trying this method.
- Connect your device to your PC or Mac with iTunes installed in it. Open iTunes. You may need to enter your Apple ID and password.
- Click on the iPhone icon on the upper left-hand corner of iTunes. Choose “Restore backup.”
Choosing a backup will replace the existing data on your device. It will typically take a few minutes to complete. You’ll be able to recover the text message as long as you have not backed up your iTunes account recently.
- TurboSpy for iPhone
You can also utilize a third-party app as a tool for retrieving deleted text messages. One of the tools that will enable you to do this is TurboSpy. This app works on iPhones 5, 6, 7, 8, X, 11, 12, and 13. These models should also be running iOS 7 and higher.
So if you own an iPhone XS running the latest iOS version, this third-party app is something you can utilize to recover deleted texts and other data. You can utilize TurboSpy to recover an old text message by following these steps:
- Purchase TurboSpy for iPhone.
- Follow the installation instructions provided by the company via email. Physical access to the iPhone is required during the installation process only.
- Log into your account to view the iMessages and other messages extracted.
And that’s it. You’ll be able to see the deleted iMessages and private messages on your iPhone with this process. Of course, you will need to have TurboSpy iPhone Backup software installed on your device before this can be done.
You can utilize Finder as a method for how to retrieve deleted text messages. This is a similar option to iTunes, except you use Finder on your Mac computer.
- Connect the iPhone to your Mac computer. If prompted, tap on Trust to allow your device to connect with your computer.
- Find your iPhone on Finder under Locations. Open it and click on Manage Backups.
- Go through the list of backups on your device to look for the message you are trying to recover.
If you see the backups you previously made, look for the most recent one before you deleted your messages. Once you find the backup, click OK. You can then restore your iPhone by clicking Restore iPhone.
This might take a while to complete, especially if it was a large backup. But you’ll be able to retrieve your deleted messages in this manner as long as the backup was made after you sent the text message.
- Contact Your Phone Provider
Lastly, get in touch with your network provider to see if they can recover your deleted iMessages. Some companies keep a record of your messages. If your network provider is among those who do, you will be entitled to access them when you ask for such.
You can also try logging into your account online and checking “my messages” to try and recover your old messages. Unfortunately, not all carriers do this. But it wouldn’t do you any harm if you ask them for it.
Can You Recover Deleted Texts Without Overwriting an iPhone?
The short answer to this is yes. You can retrieve a deleted text without needing to do a complete reset. Here is what you need to do:
- Log into your iCloud account
- Click on Text Messages (If this option doesn’t appear, it means your messages weren’t backed up in this section.)
- Look through the messages for the one you are looking for.
- On the iPhone: Open Settings > your name > iCloud
- Turn off Text Messages
- Choose Keep On My iPhone in the popup prompt
- Turn text messages back on
- Tap Merge.
Once you’ve done this, you will have to wait for a few minutes. The deleted text should reappear on your device.
The catch, however, is that this iCloud option is not available to everyone. There are certain territories and phone operators that do not support this option.
In any case, you can try it out to see if it works for you.
Tiffany is a lead writer who has a passion for all of the latest use of technology. Tiffany has been writing and delivering the latest app reviews and news for Turbo. She is an unbelievable author and continues to produce must-read content.